When I go to class, I usually feel safe and that I’m out of harms way. However, last Friday there was a chemical leak in Allen and Percival halls where some of my friends attend class. When I heard the news through the WVU alert system I was shocked because it doesn’t seem like a chemical spill could happen in a University building. Aren’t teachers equipped to prevent such things from happening? Thankfully, no one was hurt by the lingering gas but it’s scary to think of the risks associated with a poisonous substance floating around your classroom. I read that chlorine can irritate the eyes, nose, throat, lungs, and/or skin. It can also cause shortness of breath, coughing, nausea, and headache. These may all be minor side effects, but it does take a toll on your body, which should be important.
I thought this was a serious issue so I decided to look on the WVU Department of Environmental Health and Safety website to stay informed on the dangers of hazardous materials (afterall, I’m enrolled in a science course this semester). I read over the procedures and safety tips because I don’t want to be inattentive when it comes to my own health and safety.